Falmouth Dementia Action Alliance – A local Dementia Action Alliance has been formed in Falmouth which will develop a Dementia Friendly Falmouth for people with dementia, their carers and families, and across voluntary and statutory services, business and the wider community. It invites businesses and organisations in Falmouth to join them.
The aim of Falmouth Dementia Action Alliance (FDAA) is:
* To develop Dementia Friendly Communities for people with dementia, their carers and families, voluntary and statutory services, businesses and the wider community. (National Dementia Strategy 2009 – Living well with dementia; Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia 2012-2015; Dementia 2012 – A National Challenge, National Dementia Declaration).
* To seek membership from businesses and organisations in and around Falmouth.
* To assist the formation of other Dementia Action Alliances
* To establish and maintain effective support through information sharing networks
* To ensure that the voices of people with dementia, their carers and families are heard and guide the work of the DAA
Creating a Dementia Friendly Falmouth… is there a problem?
We thought we’d ask the people who know; we consulted the people with dementia and their carers in and around Falmouth during 2012 and one aspect that became evident is that “the lives of people with dementia and their carers in Falmouth would be enhanced if their everyday lives were made easier”.
And they made this offer: “The people who care for those with dementia would like to help businesses and other organisations understand more about what life is like for individuals with dementia and their carers”.
So this is the challenge: Can we make Falmouth Dementia Friendly?
We know the answer is yes! so let’s do it. The Alzheimer’s Society says “It can be as simple as raising awareness of dementia amongst staff, so should they come into contact with someone they can recognise the symptoms and know what to do to help them.”
The Falmouth Dementia Action Alliance has been formed and can help any organisation or business in Falmouth to become dementia friendly. A formal ‘launch’ of the FDAA (Dementia Friendly Falmouth) will be held in conjunction with the Falmouth Spring Festival in March.
For further information contact:
FDAA Co-ordinator Bob Bridges – email@example.com
Or just download and complete the Action Plan above and download our booklet ‘How to help customers with dementia’