Public Rights of Way
Public rights of way are commonly known as public footpaths, public bridleways and public byways. Owing to the length of the network in Cornwall, not all Rights of Way are signposted. However, Cornwall Council, who manage them, ensure that all popular trails are signposted. You will see the following waymarker discs on signposts or somewhere prominent along the paths:
Public Footpaths (yellow waymark)
Use on foot only.
Public Byways (orange/red waymark)
Open to all traffic (ie on foot, horseback, pedal cycle and motor vehicles).
Public Bridleways (blue waymark)
Use on foot, horseback and pedal cycle
Public right of way statistics for Cornwall (2009):
• Total length of public footpaths = 3548km/2203 miles
• Total length of public bridleways = 634km/396 miles
• Total length of public byways = 206km/129 miles
• Total Length of public rights of ways = 4388km/2728 miles
• Length of South West Coast Path in Cornwall = 482km/300 miles