Western Power Works
An essential project commencing early in 2018, will see Western Power upgrade the electrical system in Falmouth.
Businesses will be aware from the frequent power outages that have occurred in recent years, that the current system is insufficient and so Western Power have made the decision to undertake one of their largest in-town capital projects to ensure Falmouth’s network is robust.
We have put together some FAQs to help you:
Who is managing the project?
The project is being overseen by Western Power and Kier.
How long will it take?
The project may take up to 5 years as confirmed by Western Power and the works will take place in the first calendar quarter of the year (January – March). The 2018 works are running from January 8th to March 16th.
Where will it take place?
The works will see the entire electrical cabling system being replaced in sections, from Market Street, through Church and Arwenack Streets, to Grove Place. Please view the diagram which highlights the 2018 schedule of works on this page. A new substation is also being installed in Church St Car Park and Western Power have confirmed that screens to mitigate noise will be erected at each works location. To minimise further adverse impact for businesses and customers, the screens to mitigate noise that will cover the sections of works will be around 20m in length and NOT run the length of the street. During the works, road closures and restricted traffic flow procedures will be in place.
What time will the works be taking place?
Western Power have advised that the works will take place between the hours of 7am until 7pm seven days a week although please note this is subject to change. As mentioned, the 2018 programme of works will commence on January 8th 2018 and run until the 16th of March 2018. Western Power have stated that the 2018 phase of works will not run into Easter. It is anticipated that the 2019 programme will follow a similar pattern as outlined.
What about my commercial waste collections and deliveries?
Commercial waste companies are being notified by Western Power so that they are aware of the works, as are a number of the key trade delivery businesses. Timings are as follows:
JANUARY 8TH TO MARCH 16TH 2018
7.00 TO 8.00AM – WASTE COLLECTION AND STREET CLEANING SERVICES
UP TO 8.00AM – ARTICULATED/LARGE VEHICLES
9.00 TO 11.00AM – COURIERS
IF YOU ARE A MARKET STREET BUSINESS, THEN DELIVERIES, WASTE, COURIERS ETC WILL ACCESS YOUR BUSINESS THE USUAL WAY THROUGH THE TOWN
IF YOU ARE A CHURCH ST OR ARWENACK ST BUSINESS, THEN DELIVERIES, WASTE, COURIERS ETC WILL ACCESS YOUR BUSINESS THE REVERSE WAY THROUGH THE TOWN IE VIA GROVE PLACE
An extensive list of suppliers, waste businesses, couriers etc have been contacted by Western Power (see yellow box to the right of this page) but the advice is to get in touch with your regular suppliers, contacts, partners and customers to also update them accordingly, both of the works and the timings. Furthermore, businesses who feel they may be affected by the works are encouraged to liaise with Paul Horrell, Project Liaison Officer as mentioned below.
Who do I contact if I have a query or concern?
The Liaison Officer for the project is Paul Horrell from project sub-contractor Kier. Numerous meetings, drop-in sessions, door-to-door and letter-drops have taken place but if you have any questions or queries do contact Paul with any queries or questions on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07896 279134.
How are the Falmouth Town Team (Town Management/Falmouth BID in partnership) supporting?
The Town Team are working extensively behind the scenes to support:
- Co-ordinating regular meetings and drop-in sessions so that Western Power can present to and liaise with businesses and residents.
- Ensuring that there are face-to-face and online points of contact for businesses and residents
- Working with Western Power, Cornwall Council and Falmouth businesses on an extensive range of supportive schemes such as free car parking days, radio and social media campaigns, free community buses and more
- FREE car parking – on every Saturday during the works – will be taking place. This will be covering the three months of January (starting on Saturday 6th January), February and end on Saturday March 17th (the 2018 works end on Friday 16th March). This will be in every Cornwall Council-owned car park in the town – The Quarry, The Moor, New Street, Grove Place, The Dell, Gyllyngvase (note of course Church St Car park is closed due to the works)
- FREE community shuttle buses – two free community shuttle buses during the works have been secured to support our local resident community. These will be running on a 15-minute loop and run as close as is possible to the current community bus route – from the Quarry, through The Moor, Market Strand, Prince of Wales Pier, out and along Albany Road, Woodlane, Dell Station, Grove Place, New St/Church Corner (as close as is possible for shoppers to access Church St area of town)
- Pirate FM – an extensive promotional campaign supporting Falmouth and its businesses has been secured for the duration of the works. Over 250, 30-second Falmouth features will run four times daily
- Falmouth Packet – an ‘I’m Supporting Falmouth’ campaign has been secured, which will launch in the Wednesday December 13th edition and then run weekly during the works in 2018
- Social media – a social media campaign will provide further support and run extensively across all town platforms
- Further marketing and comms – information and details will be circulated to our residents with key info outlining the details of the electrical works, listing the variety of supportive measures and pushing the support your community/shop local messages.